Main Features of the Petzl Grigri+
- Belay device with assisted braking for ropes 8.5mm to 11mm diameter
- Excellent control during the descent
- Control selector to optimise function for top-roping or lead belaying
- Diagrams for rope installation engraved on belay device (interior and exterior)
- Available in three colours: grey, orange and violet
- Certification: EN 15151, UIAA
- Weight: 200g
- Materials: Aluminium side plates, Stainless steel cam and friction plate, reinforced nylon handle
The Grigri+ is the latest version of Petzl's iconic belay device, and serves as an addition to the range rather than a straight replacement. It is particularly aimed at new users and instructional work; It is now possible to select between 'lead' and 'top-rope' functions, and Petzl have added an 'anti-panic' mechanism so the belayer cannot accidentally lose control by pulling to hard on the brake handle. And for those teaching eager recruits the mode can be locked to prevent accidental switching.
As with other versions of the Grigri, control is delivered through an integral camming system; as the load tightens on the active end of the rope, the cam inside the Grigri 2 pivots and pinches the rope, increasing the braking power until the fall is stopped.
The Grigri+ is still designed to work on thinner climbing ropes that many climbers are using today, optimised for the 8.9-10.5mm range. It also retains the smooth lowering action, giving much more control as you lower your partner.
Petzl have issued some information to highlight and explain the features of the Grigri+